Recipe of the Month – October 2021
As prepared by Danielle Cowen, Summit’s Food Service Director
2 cups granulated sugar
¾ cup water
½ cup light corn syrup
A few drops each of black and red food coloring
6 each apples (I like to use gala, but any apple works)
6 each twigs off an apple tree
- Combine water, sugar and corn syrup in a sauce pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling insert a candy thermometer, and watch for the mixture to reach 300F, also called “hard crack”.
- Remove the pot from the heat and using the thermometer or a long handle metal spoon, add a few drops of red and black food coloring, and stir in until it reaches your desired color.
- Please be extremely careful during this step as it creates a lot of steam, which can cause serious burns to yourself.
- Set up a cookie tray with parchment paper, and spray the paper with pan spray, or brush a thin layer of butter. This keeps the apples from sticking to the pan.
- Push the apple twigs into the apples, this will be your handle, and gently dip the apple in the colored caramel. Pull out of the caramel and allow any excess to drip off. Set on the parchment paper to cool, while you dip the next apple.