Recipe of the Month – August 2021
Zuppa Toscana Soup
As prepared by Danielle Cowen, Summit’s Food Service Director
4 slices of bacon, uncooked, diced
1 lb hot Italian sausage, ground or remove the casing
10 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium white onion, diced
4 cups vegetable stock
6 cups chicken broth, low sodium
5 red bliss potato, diced
1 bunch of kale, de-ribbed, rough chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, or stock pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until the fat has rendered down, and bacon crisps up. Remove bacon, discard all except a ¼ cup of fat.
- Add sausage, onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Cook until onions are translucent, and sausage is fully cooked.
- Add both stocks and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add kale, bacon, heavy cream. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until kale softens up.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired along the way.
Tips and Tricks
- August is a harvest month here in New England, and a lot of wonderful hearty vegetables are in peak freshness. I love making this soup because it’s when my Kale is ready, and it’s great for freezing.
- This recipe yields about 12 large servings, so I like to portion out my soup in containers and freeze it for a cold winter night.
- To thaw this soup, just put it in the refrigerator 2 days before desired use.
- To re-heat, I suggest pouring into a saucepan, over medium heat with a lid on. Either bring to a boil or allow soup to simmer.