Recipe of the Month – July 2021
As prepared by Danielle Cowen, Summit’s Food Service Director
Yield: One 9” pie
All-purpose flour 1 ½ cup
Butter, unsalted 4 oz (1 stick)
Water, ice cold ¼ cup
Eggs 4 each
Butter, unsalted 1 oz
Half & Half 2 cups
Olive Oil 2 TBSP
Salt 1 tsp
Pepper ½ tsp
-desired herbs and vegetables-
- For the crust, mix flour, salt, and butter until butter is pea-sized. Slowly add the water until dough ball forms. You may not need all the water. Wrap in plastic and allow to rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough, and line your pie pan. Dock with a fork. Place in a 350F oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together custard ingredients.
- Layout your favorite vegetables and herbs in the baked pie shell. Pour custard mix over. Bake at 325F for 20 minutes (or until the custard is set).
- Allow cooling. Serve warm or at room temperature.
My personal favorite quiche is made with caramelized onions, oyster and shitake mushrooms, thyme, lemon zest, and gouda cheese. Or saute your favorite fresh garden vegetables and herbs and arrange in the baked pie shell and then pour the custard over.